This is one of our favorite cheap, easy, go-to meals during the week!
Feel free to play around with the ingredients to suit your family’s taste:
- 10-15 Cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cp. chopped bell peppers (green bell peppers are usually the cheapest, unless you grow your own!)
- 2 cloves or garlic, minced
- 4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz your favorite sausage, sliced (we use a spicy chicken and green pepper sausage)
- 1/4 cp. chopped parsley (very inexpensive, but also very easy to grow!)
- 10 oz. rigatoni pasta
- 1/4 low sodium veggie or chicken stock (we use homemade veggie stock)
- Salt & pepper
1) Preheat your oven to 375. In a small bowl, add cherry tomatoes, 1 tsp olive oil, and salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Pour tomatoes out onto a baking sheet and roast them for 8-10 minutes.
2) Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the rigatoni, cook following box directions.
3) Heat the remaining 2 tsp olive oil in a sautee pan over medium heat. Sautee the sausage for 1-2 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside. Add the garlic, bell peppers, and roasted tomatoes and sautee for 3-4 minutes.
4) Add the veggie/chicken stock and simmer 3-4 minutes. Add the sausage and parsley. Toss in cooked rigatoni, and season with salt and pepper.
This meal goes great with the bread recipe!
Total cost of this meal is approximately $10 retail for 4 servings. When you purchase ingredients with coupons, and grow what you can, it means lower costs to feed your family!